Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy new year!

<


For the first time in years, I woke up this morning sans hangover. Already, the new year is off to a great start!

Last night for New Year's Eve, I went to dinner at Proof, which I really couldn't afford. But I figured I'd have one last, big splurge for 2007. Kyle was working (he had to cover a college bowl game in Nashville), so I went with a girlfriend and we had a fabulous meal and a great time.

It was one of the few times I have done something "adult" and civilized for New Year's (read: I wasn't surrounded by a bunch of unruly drunk folks or totally drunk myself). And being 35, I guess I was about due for a night like that.

And today, it's snowing outside! Not real snow, mind you... it's not sticking and they're not big, fluffy flakes. But there are white things coming from the sky and that makes me feel joyous. Plus, the hubby is coming home this afternoon and I've missed him.

Everyone keeps asking if I've made any resolutions. I hate calling them that, because nobody ever keeps their new yer's resolutions! So here are some, um, goals for 2008:

1. To read more. Normally, I read a book or two a week. But I've gotten busy lately and I haven't made the time for it. I did read this on Sunday, though, It was a cute, quick read:



2. To regularly back up the files on my laptop. Our computer crashed on Christmas and we had to pay someone to retrieve our stuff, which for me, included tons of music, a year's worth of digital pics and the beginning of what could become my novel. (If you ever have this problem and live in Louisville, call Louisville Geek. They did this for $65, compared to the $300+ that the Geek Squad at Best Buy wanted!)

3. To get back on the exercise wagon. Yeah, yeah. Such a cliche, I know.

4. To check my voice mail more regularly. Unless it's a call from my boss or a source for work, I tend to let my messages sit for a while and then they pile up and I don't want to face them. Must get better about this.




5. To keep my new house totally clean and organized at all times. Easier said than done (especially with pets who have figured out how to open their toy box and pull out a new one about every five minutes). But now that we will have adequate square footage, everything should have its place.

6. To send out Christmas cards in 2008. For the past two years, this task has gotten away from me... mostly because I really like writing personal, hand-written notes in each card. It's a time commitment, man. Granted, there were special circumstances last year (my brother-in-law's passing) and this year (buying a house, packing, moving). But next year, I'm gonna do it. Even if I have to start in September.



Happy January, everybody!

2 comments:

lp said...

Happy New Year, Maisy!

I'm jealous you got to read the new Kinsella. It's not out til late Feb! Drat.

Hope you're well!

Maisy said...

Happy new year to you Ms. P! I hope you enjoy the book... :)