Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Squirrel popsicle

Summary haiku:

A gift from my son:
Dead squirrel traumatized me
on frigid morning.


Every morning around 6 a.m., I let the pets out to tinkle and whatnot. Unfortunately, I have to physically take them because the side door in our rental house doesn't connect to the fenced back yard.

This morning, Archie was taking his sweet time, preoccupied with something near the back fence. He wouldn't do what he was there to do, and it was cold as shit outside, so I finally called him over. He proudly scurried over carrying something in his mouth. It was dark, so I couldn't really see what it was, but I assumed it was a tennis ball or one of the other dogs toys in the yard.

Before we went inside, I told him to spit it out. It fell to the concrete porch with a dull thud. To my horror, the porch light illuminated what he had: a frozen, partially dismantled squirrel carcass. I looked away as quickly as possible, but it was hard not to notice that the thing was practically inside out.

And Archie just looked up at me and wagged his little stump of a tail, smiling with his eyes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe, he loves you :D

Anonymous said...

Awe, he loves you :D

Anonymous said...

Dogs can be gross. We're still dealing with doggy COPROPHILIA at our house. (Cool word, you should look it up. I had to.) I can't help but cuddle mine even when she smells like poo.

Our NYE was quiet as well. The holidays totally burnt me out, so we stayed home on NYE, made bruschetta and stuffed mushrooms, and drank a bottle of bubbly. Then we pretty much slept all of New Years Day.

I don't need to get a holiday card fron you or anyone for that matter. Most of them are superficial. But I would like to hear from you in some other form... I hated reading about your house on your blog.

EAJ

Anonymous said...

Growing up, our momma cat used to leave my mom half dead mice right at the doorstep. Occassionaly, she would bring them in! My mom had to say "Good kitty!" befor3e she would come in! Daina