Thursday, July 17, 2008

The hunchback of Louisville

Summary haiku:
Big purses hold a
lot of stuff. That stuff weighs tons.
My shoulders are mad.


I've read tons of stories about how women injure themselves by carrying giant bags and thought, "Huh. That makes sense." Still, I carry them.

But for the past week, my upper back and neck feel like they've been stomped on by a herd of buffalo, then tied in a thousand knots immediately after the trampling. When I try to put my shoulders back in order to achieve good posture, it's feels like I'm pouring gasoline on my neck and setting myself aflame.

Here are the things that I carry in my purse pretty much every day:

1. Keys

2. A giant wallet, which ironically, never contains cash. Just ID; credit cards; frequent buyer cards for Borders, PetsMart, Qdoba, etc.

3. Cell phone

4. MP3 player

5. Camera (I often take pics of things I might need for my shopping job, so I don't forget what they look like.)

6. About 20 pens

7. Band-Aids (In case my shoes maim my feet during the day.)

8. Aspirin

9. Hairbrush

10. About 5 colors of lipgloss/lipstick, as well as a tin of Smith's Rosebud Salve.

11. A book of carbon receipts I use when I borrow stuff from stores to put in the paper.

12. Is this getting ridiculous yet?

13. Reporter notebook

14. A bunch of other stuff rolling around in the bottom.


Here are the things I actually need in my purse at all times:

1. Keys

2. Small wallet

3. Phone

4. One pen



On top of this, I'm always carrying around a bunch of crap in and out of stores, to and from photo shoots. I need a massage. Now. Right now!

And I'm switching over to a smaller purse tomorrow. Maybe even something drastic, like a clutch! But so help me, if I end up needing a Hello Kitty Band-Aid and it's not on my person, I'm gonna be pissed.

3 comments:

lp said...

hey m... we need to take that shopping trip soon. maybe, uh, this fall when it's not so hot.

does your phone have a camera?

i leave all my frequent whatever cards in the car and just pull them out when i need them (except sephora, ulta and kroger. a girl does have priorities).

i separated my makeup into two bags and really only take the one with the fancy crap if i need it. otherwise it's lip balm & gloss, tissues and aspirin only.

after years of having the black hole bag, i had to come up with some solutions to save my sanity and my shoulders.

i hear ya, lady! usually i'm like ally sheedy in the breakfast club. i could run off and live for weeks on the contents of my bag.

i can't believe i just posted this as a comment. i sound like a freak. i AM a freak! :)

Unknown said...

Funny but true...sounds like a good excuse (a medical reason!) to buy a new, smaller, cuter purse. You should also get one of those phone chains that you attach to your cell phone so you don't have to dig when it rings.

Maisy said...

wow. thanks for the really good advice, ladies.

ms. p, that ally sheedy example had me cracking up. that's exactly what i go through. and yes, my phone does have a pretty decent camera, but i really need to buy a memory card for it bc it's full of pics and music already.

pamela, i did buy the world's smallest purse to take to the concert and i survived all day. and you know what i did on monday? i slipped that small purse inside my big one and carried them both. i'm hopeless.