Monday, October 29, 2007

John Deere, the babysitter

Summary haiku:
Sometimes, I wish I'd
used a rubber. So I use
lawnmower nanny.








Far be it from me to judge someone's parenting skills, especially when I have no children of my own. However, today I saw a scene that struck me as, well, pretty fucking ridiculous. And dangerous.

I was out walking the dogs, working on the stuff we learned at dog class this morning. We rounded the corner to a loud motor, a yapping canine and squeals of delight.

I look down the street and see this: A little girl, who couldn't have been older than 9 years old, driving a John Deere riding lawnmower at a speed that I didn't even know lawnmowers would reach. She was weaving in and out of her yard, going down the middle of the street, then pulling a quick u-turn and going back the other direction and over the humps of her yard.

Three smaller kids -- maybe ranging in age from 3 to 5 -- were in a red wagon which was tied with a rope to the back of the lawnmower and careening around behind it. The younger tots were laughing and giggling as the wagon bucked and swayed during its travels over cement surfaces and grassy declines.

As if this isn't disturbing enough a scene, there was a Jack Russell terrier (no leash, of course) rabidly circling the mower, barking its head off. The erratic child driver almost hit the pooch numerous times in the process. She was so close to running him over, I fully expected to see a Jack Russell pancake by the time we reached the end of the block.

And all I could think was WHERE IN THE HELL ARE YOUR PARENTS?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my FAVORITE summary haiku yet!!

The Wanderer said...

The parents are busy watching "I Love New York 2." And damn her for ruining "New York." Damn her to hell. A hell full of mud baths.

Lisa Hornung said...

The parents were in the basement, high on mescaline and eating broccoli with ice cream sprinkles.
I don't know where that came from. That's where my mind goes.
Wish I had a lawn-mower baby-sitter.

Maisy said...

I love the theories of what the parents were doing... I was so taken aback I never considered where they WERE, just where they weren't! :)

Maisy said...

P.S. D, you're right. She has totally ruined New York!