Monday, October 29, 2007

"If it has shoes the cover, I know you'll read it."

Summary haiku:
Am I really that
shallow, or does my husband
just pay attention?





Yesterday, Kyle was on his way out the door, on his way to a library clearance sale where they were getting rid of extra books: Everything you can fit in one (giant) box for $10.

He said he'd try and find some stuff for me, too, but he wasn't entirely sure what I'd like to read. Then, after a pause, he said, "I'll just look for anything with a shoe on the cover. If it's got that, I know you'll read it."

I laughed really hard at his joke -- but mostly because it's true. I guess that's what happens when you're with someone for more that 7 years. Two of my favorite reads are "In Her Shoes" by Jennifer Weiner and the (somewhat horrifying) fairy tale, "The Red Shoes" by Hans Christian Andersen.

So Kyle called me after he was done and said he'd scored about 15 books.

"Did you get any that weren't about sports or being a black man in America?," I asked. And he starting cracking up. Because you know what? I know his reading habits, too.

In the end, he also knows my passion for fiction and true crime novels, so he did pick me up a few offerings -- none with footwear on the front. But if they're no good, well, they were only $1.25 a piece.

7 comments:

jhawk said...

God, Detox, Philosophy or figuring out your life in the title or implied in the title and I will read. Or buy and read the first 10 pages.

lp said...

Embarrassingly, the Shopaholic books were in my wedding vows... I wish Weiner would go back to writing good books. Whatever her last one was... err... sucked.

Anonymous said...

If you love Shopaholic & Jennifer Weiner, pick up Emily Giffin's "Something Borrowed" and the sequel, "Something Blue."

Vulture said...

Kyle is the black man in America!!!
LOL

Maisy said...

Ms. P: I wasn't impressed with it, either. And I think it's fantastic that Shopaholic made it into your vows!
Pam: I've read both of those due to your recommendation last year. Entertaining, and a really great idea for storytelling.

Lisa Hornung said...

I've been busy reading all those money management books you lent me. That one, "Money: A Memoir" is really good.
Suze Orman ... bless her heart. She has good advice, but she says everyone should have an eight-month emergency fund. Hahahahaha! Do you know anybody with that much cash?

Maisy said...

Yeah, I do know a few people with close to that much savings -- but none of them are journalists!!!