Saturday, April 4, 2009

Thank You, VH1

So, VH1 has been running these shows all week that feature the Top 100 One-Hit Wonders from the 1980s. Now, I have a shitload of 80s pop on my iPod -- so much that I thought I could never be missing any songs that used to give me such cheesy pop pleasure back in the day.

I was wrong! I found myself jotting down all kinds of tunes that I didn't have. How could I be missing "99 Luftballoons" by Nena? "Supersonic" by JJ Fad? "Tenderness" by General Public?

Anyway, then I started reminiscing and realized I was missing tons of other tunes, too. Like Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation," "Jack & Diane" by John Mellencamp. I had no Huey Lewis & the News tunes, only two by Duran Duran and no "Footloose?" Blasphemy! No 80s playlist is complete without such things.

I have totally been living in the past. But it's been nice, because my present has been super-suckfest for the past couple of days. Now, I'm heading back over to iTunes to grab a few more songs.

6 comments:

lp said...

don't forget 'the warrior' and 'love is a battlefield'. my itunes features a disturbing plethora of 80s songs.

i often want to time travel back to the 80s just to see if it's as interesting as i remember. i bet not because when i was living in the 80s i wished i was living in the 60s.

Kat said...

Don't forget stupidly delicious songs like Joy and Pain by Rob Base and Let the Music Play by Shannon.

The Summer of 69 is always forgotten when talkin about the 80's, you know, back when Bryan Adams wasn't all greasy.

Maisy said...

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! I totally forgot about the Warrior... I love that song.

Organic Meatbag said...

I too am stuck in the 70's and 80's, and to a degree, the 60's... music past those decades are hard to find on my playlists...
Now I know, I just know you have "Come on Eileen" on there, right???

Here's a couple of my suggestions:
"Big Log" by Robert Plant
"Mr. Roboto" by Styx
and
"On The Loose" by Saga...

lp said...

one great thing about being in our mid-late 30s is that we get to look back on an interesting/funny time in music.

can you imagine if we had to come of age in the era of creed/kid rock?

::shudder::

javacia said...

I am very sad to say that Edd and I spent our weekend at the Dupont Mansion B&B watching this show. I think "Take One Me" or Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" should have been #1.