Thursday, June 26, 2008

Random music thoughts for Thursday

I've been thinking a lot about music during the past week.

First, my new friend JacQue and I have been talking about RZA's new single (and can I just add that she's the only woman I've ever met who loves Wu-Tang Clan as much as me? It's awesome!). Second, Javacia wrote a blog about Soulja Boy/Ice-T/hip-hop that made me think a little bit too.

So I've been listening a lot more carefully the past couple of days, really absorbing it instead of having it on as a backdrop while I drive around and talk to people on my cell phone. Here are some random words/phrases you never hear in music and make me smile when they pop up: Buffoonery (Jay-Z); Tally ho (Method Man); cerebral cortex (RZA); humdinger (Saigon); scallywag (J-Ro); jingle-jangle (Tash).

Also, in hip-hop, people are always debating their top five (or top 10) artists of all time. I've always found that impossible to do; my top lists have always been separated into categories because I like different artists for different reasons. As of today, my lists are as follows and are in no particular order.


Favorite lyricists:
Nas
Slick Rick
Jay-Z
Boots Riley (The Coup)
Biggie
Inspectah Deck
Redman
Tash
Method Man
Talib Kweli
Mad Skillz
Andre 3000
Lupe Fiasco


My favorite voices:
Method Man
RZA
Snoop Dogg
Lyrics Born
Chali 2na
Snaggapuss
Slick Rick
Andre 3000
Q-Tip
U-God
Ghostface Killah


Dopest flow:
Slick Rick
Mr. Cheeks
Method Man
Busta Rhymes
Ghostface Killah
Mos Def
Chali 2na
Del
Bahamadia
Freddie Foxxx
Ludacris

No comments: