Thursday, May 29, 2008

Congratulations, you're not blind!

Summary haiku:
My sunburn may as
well be a celebrity.
Quit staring at it!


Yesterday, I went to lunch with a friend. We ate outside. I ended up with a raging sunburn on one of my shoulders, where my scoop neck shirt didn't quite cover.

It hurts. Really, really bad (especially when my seatbelt rubs against it). But not as bad as people who think they're so clever as to comment on the obvious. "Hey! Do you know you've got a sunburn?"

Hey! Fuck you!

People lecture you on the obvious. "The sun's not good for your skin." "Wow, that's gonna be painful for a couple of days." "Geez, one shoulder? You look all lopsided."

Like I meant for it to happen. Now everyone is pointing and staring as though I have a fucking lilac bush growing out of my shoulder.

Even a little old man at the gym! He said, "Is that a sunburn? I almost didn't want to ask you because it's such an intense red, I thought it might be a birthmark." Sheesh!

Gotta go get some aloe.

2 comments:

javacia said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... PEOPLE SUCK!

Anonymous said...

really? a sunburn? sounds like they need to get out more.

on a semi-related note, brandi and i had a lady interrogate us in the checkout lane when we went grocery shopping a couple of years ago (when we were roommates). she turns around, sized up our order (as she's checking out) and asks "so, do you guys live together?" and we said, "yep!" to which she responded "so you guys get groceries together and then each pay half?" and i said "yes m'am. that's what we do."

then, she said "so are you guys in school?" so i said, "yes, i am." you'd think she would've dropped it. nope! she persisted by asking, "so is that why you guys live together? to save money?"

i turned to brandi (and everyone else behind us who were just in shock) and said, "i'm glad we aren't lovers or this would be awkward." everyone busted out laughing, including the clerk and bagger. the lady turned bright red, grabbed her groceries and hurried out of there.

LOL! some people just don't know when to stop asking. so do what i do, make it uncomfortable.