Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Sorry, muscles. Better luck next time.

SUMMARY HAIKU:

Dog walks don't do shit
for muscle tone. Back to gym.
Arms and abs on fire.


Here's how Kyle described his pain after using my favorite (and simultaneously least favorite) abdominal machine at the Y for the first time: "I feel like someone just ripped my guts out."

Precisely. This is why I have such a love/hate relationship with the thing.

After about four months of ignoring the gym, I finally made my way back there this week. Once Lucy and Archie arrived on the scene, I was (and am) walking them every day. Briskly. Often twice. But I stopped working out at the Y because it was hard to work it in -- and hey, I was still exercising, right? Eh, not really.

I haven't gained any weight in that time, but my muscle tone and definition started to wither. So I made my first foray back there on Monday and did 45 minutes of cardio. Then I weight trained my arms, legs, abs and back -- all in one day.

What a dumbass.

Of course, I soon felt like I got hit by a truck. Yesterday, I could barely even straighten my legs out because my hamstrings felt as though someone had shortened them by about 8 inches each. Every time I stretched backwards, my abs screamed out like an 8-pound dog when someone rings the doorbell. And let's not even talk about my arms, which I wanted to cut off with a butcher knife but couldn't muster the strength to grip a blade.

Today was better, and I'm going back tomorrow. And at least four days a week from here on out. I hate, hate, hate it. But I've got to do it.

Some people try to motivate with the old cliche, "No pain, no gain." But I think that shit only works on meatheads who enjoy committing to fitness. I'm just doing this to look a little better in my jeans and continue eating at the Shalimar Indian buffet from time to time.

3 comments:

lp said...

Crap, are we living parallel lives? I pulled a hamstring in Tae Kwon Do class last week. We both hate the cart zombies. We're both interested in fashion (though I make no claims as to being fashionable). And apparently we both watch Rock of Love. Also, you're one of (seriously, and this is sad) five women I've come across in Louisville who is in her 30s.

Anyway, I look forward to keeping up with your blog :).

Maisy said...

Oh yes, Bret Michaels and his posse of skanks had me sucked in the first week!
We do have a lot in common. Fun.

The Wanderer said...

Oh. You said Shalimar. All that crap about working out went in one ear and out the other. Traveling for a living means you can't even pretend you're going to the gym. And fuck all those crap articles about how to "work in a work out." You know, I just made that headline up... and it's damn fine. Damn I am good, even 5 months out of the biz. My biggest muscle is my brain, bitches, and that shit is tiz-oned.