Monday, September 10, 2007

"The hide their crack in the cupboard, behind the cans."

Last night, I worked a metro shift in the news department. I covered a couple of events, and then spent the rest of the time listening to the police scanner to keep track of Louisville's Sunday-night goings on.

At first, I was sad that I was missing the MTV awards, Rock of Love and the first day of the NFL season. But the scanner can help wile away the time, too. Here are a couple of highlights.




1. "A caller just reported that a guy was road-raging her on Dixie Highway." Road-rage as a verb. I like it.






2. "There's an intoxicated man on the walking trail wearing a red t-shirt and a weird white mask." Great. Michael Myers IS real.



3. "An old man with a ponytail is sitting in an Oldsmobile in the middle of the street. He's swearing at and flipping off anyone who asks him to move."




4. Somewhere on the south end, a mother and son were partaking in wholesome family activity of smoking crack together. "The son is wearing a pair of basketball shorts and no shirt, the mother is wearing jeans and a top with roses on it. The complainant said they store their crack in the kitchen cupboard, behind the canned foods."

Aside from their drug problems, which are not to be ridiculed, this report made me laugh for a couple of reasons. Now, maybe I've watched too many "Cops" episodes, but when I first heard the situation unfolding, I totally pictured the son being shirtless. Second, I love that whoever called the police were hanging out there long enough to note, in detail, their wardrobe and where they stashed the rocks.

Luckily, nothing major happened, which was not only good for me, but good for the public at large.

No comments: