Saturday, November 3, 2007

A place to call home

Summary haiku:
Is it possible
to find the perfect house on
the first weekend? (Shrug)



The hubby and I have resigned ourselves to the fact that we're going to be in Louisville for a while. (Don't get me wrong -- we like it here. But we hoped we'd be moving back to the West Coast after putting in a few years in the Ville. I just feel a desperate need to be near oceans and mountains. I don't enjoy the middle.)

So, anyway, we're buying a house. We took our first jaunt with our buying agent today and saw 4 different places. It's our first time buying a home, so I was really surprised at how things went down. We'd looked at them all online, and were pleasantly (and not so pleasantly) surprised.

In person, we really liked one that we only felt so-so about prior to our visit. It was really open and clean, had tons of space and updated in every way. Brand new windows, awesome kitchen and bathrooms, large 2 1/2 car garage and a fantastic back yard. Even a basketball hoop for Kyle. It was the very first one we looked at and we were both like, "I could totally see us living here."

And then the house we thought we'd love, we didn't. The inside was really awesome and current and cute. But the yard was jacked up and small, and the house smelled musty. (And a bit like cats and baby diapers -- yum!) I could smell it on myself for a long time after leaving and it was gross.

Even worse, while we were there, Kyle saw somebody he knows from his job who lives in the 'hood. She told us all these great things about it -- it's quiet and clean, she'd lived there for years and loves it. But then she slipped in that within the past year, a woman had been beaten and raped on that very street at 6:30 a.m.

Now, that could happen in any neighborhood, I suppose, but it just turned both of us off. I actually felt like I was going to throw up on the spot.

So, the search continues. But we found one today that will definitely be in the running, and that's a pretty cool feeling.

Hooray!

5 comments:

lp said...

"The hubby and I have resigned ourselves to the fact that we're going to be in Louisville for a while. (Don't get me wrong -- we like it here. But we hoped we'd be moving back to the West Coast after putting in a few years in the Ville. I just feel a desperate need to be near oceans and mountains. I don't enjoy the middle.)"

Every time you write I think it's me talking!!! So weird! But in that good way. :)

Glad the house hunting is going well!

Maisy said...

I've thought the same thing reading several of your posts... good weird, I agree. :)

Lisa Hornung said...

House hunting is fun. Full of hope and possibilites.
It's the acutal buying part that sucks.
And the paying for it part.

javacia said...

"cats and baby diapers"
Are you sure you were house hunting or did you just step inside the C-J 4th floor women's restroom?

Maisy said...

Well, Jai, I just spit out my Diet Cherry Coke while reading your comment. It smelled EXACTLY like that.